When Instagram made it's debut, no one expected the company to make a billion dollars in two years. It's hard to believe that back in 2010, Instagram founders Kevin Systrom and Mike Krieger were renting a $500-a-month desk from Dogpatch Labs on Pier 38.
In fact, Dogpatch Labs was so structurally unsound that its San Francisco tenants had to vacate within a year. Although Stanford University graduate Kevin Systrom founded Insta in March 2010, that's only part of the story.
Systrom does not even have formal computer-science training yet, he poured his time into side projects that taught him out to code. Mike Krieger has joked that Instagram took around eight years to build, but was a year in the making. It went live on October 6, 2010.
Within hours, they reached 10,000 users. By the end of the week, Instagram had been downloaded 100,000 times. By the middle of December, it had grown to a million users. Then, by February 2011, the company was valued at $20 million. This is just a little over a year later!
In April of 2012, Facebook acquired Instagram for a whopping $1 billion. Wow. Now, Systrom is worth around $400 million. He said, "When Mike and I started Instagram nearly two years ago, we set out to change and improve the way the world communicates and shares. We've had an amazing time watching Instagram grow into a vibrant community of people from all around the globe."
So, now we all know that Instagram is a juggernaut. Is there a smartphone user that has not used or looked at Instagram? Probably not. But, it gets better. Here are some amazing Instagram stats to pay attention to.
What makes Instagram so popular?
The minute Instagram went live, people started downloading the app in droves. It wasn't just another app mixed in with millions of other apps--it was a standout and unique. Why did so many people latch on so quickly? Well, for starters, it is inventive.
A photograph, a filter and a bit of text makes it so interesting. Anyone can demonstrate their creative side on Instagram. Many will do everything to become Instagram famous. Even the most ordinary of objects can be reworked to become pieces of art in a frame.
Instagram makes us feel like we can all be professional photographers. Plus, it is highly influential. It can get people to do things--to illustrate, the many baking profiles or health & fitness accounts. Whether it is an image of a perfect body or a recipe idea, it gives us motivation and inspiration.
How many times have you browsed through Instagram accounts and thought, "Hey, I can do that!" Moreover, we get to stalk our favorite celebrities. Many times celebrity Instagram photos become headline news for celebrity gossip sites.
Instagram users get to see it first. There is so much inspiration to be found, from makeup tutorials to fitness guides to pets. It's all in one place for you to devour at your convenience.
Insane Instagram stats
Instagram is far from a dwindling flame. In fact, it is leading the way for its next big opportunity in advertising. Over the last six months, the number of advertisers has doubled from about 200,000 to 500,000. This means that Instagram's next big opportunity is catering to small-to-midsized businesses.
Instagram’s COO Marne Levine said, “Businesses are beginning to really understand that they can market to passions on Instagram. They can leverage the creative canvas that we offer on Instagram and combine that with really good targeting to put the right story in front of the right person at the right time for an audience that is active and receptive to discovery.”
The company's ranking countries for advertising, in order, are:
According to a Data Cloud study, Instagram ads drive a 2% lift in offline sales, and 70% of performance campaigns generate meaningful boosts in online conversion or mobile app installs.
Furthermore, Instagram launched "Business Tools" two months ago. Since then, over 1.5 million businesses have created a "business profile" on Instagram.
1. Instagram has over 500 million active monthly users. Yes, these are real users, not robot accounts. Of course, some may question how active the users actually are. Read the next statistic to find out.
2. Instagram users share around 70 million photos every day. It's mind-boggling when you consider Instagram has billions of photos. In just six years, we've shared more photos than the entire human population.
3. This year, it is expected that 9.5% of Facebook's global mobile revenues will come from Instagram. Around 20.1% of that is from the U.S. In addition, Instagram's share is expected to grow 14% globally, and 28% in the U.S.
4. Around 70% of Instagram's users come from outside the U.S. This is one of the social media platforms attracting major global adoption. In fact, eMarketer predicts that by 2019, the Instagram audience will reach 111.6 million Americans. This is about four in 10 Internet users and 55.8% of social networkers.
5. A 2015 Internet Trends Report found that Instagram has become the most important social network for American teens, at 32%. Since these teens are the next generation of mobile buyers, you can start reaching out to them today.
6. In 2015, 35% of Instagram users visited the platform several times a day. Moreover, 59% of Instagram users visited it at least once daily. This is a 10-point increase over 2014.
7. Around 13.2% of all posts are videos. Yet, photos still see a higher average engagement.
8. By 2017, it is predicted that 70.7% of brands will be on Instagram. Based on the top 100 brands in the world, 90% have an Instagram account. Also, 96% of U.S. fashion brands are on Instagram. When it comes to engagement with brands, Instagram is 54 times higher than Pinterest, 10 times higher than Facebook and 84 times higher than Twitter.
9. The most popular Instagrammed food is pizza, it is followed by sushi and steak.
Instagram has reached unforeseen heights because it is simple and entertaining. We can all share and view electronic art on a daily basis. In addition, we get to interact with users from all over the world.